Sunday, August 8, 2010

Culture


Me and Nick have talked about adopting two children, mainly a girl and a boy perhaps siblings etc. And to adopt at the same time they have to be siblings with the Childrens Home and Family Society. I think about it and perhaps the older child will be 3 or older because the younger is at least a year at the time of referral. This in and of itself makes me want to learn the customs or what daily life is like there to ease the transition of cultures and language.

When I was in YWAM I had a friend MiKyeong who was Korean she was such a nice girl, polite. One thing that I did notice culturally was that girls seemed to stay together more than the American culture, like holding each others arms when walking and talking about things. She told me once (while I was painting my nails red no less) that she thought that red nails were pretty but that she would never do it because in Korea if you wore red nail polish you were thought of as a prostitute. I just want to know those sorts of things before we go, another thing that I learned on a show that when drinking they use both hands out of respect, and also drink away from the person you are with. She also tried to teach us some words, the only one that I remember to this day is Key-ah-wa which means "Cute" this may come in handy when we see our children :)

We also went to a Korean church in New York somewhere, they had the most amazing food, sticky rice and Kimchi stuff YUM!!!!

I'm not saying that I would all of a sudden turn Korean or something (obviously I could never do that). I would just want to not be ignorant of the culture that we will be going into, to respect the people when we are in Korea and understand our children when they come home with us. -Teisha

No comments:

Post a Comment