Monday, August 23, 2010

Transracial Adoption


I've been reading "Outsiders within" edited by Jane Jeong Trenka, Julia Chinyere Oparah, and Sun Yung Shin, its a book of many stories of children who were adopted transracially from the US or also from different countries. Its very interesting, the most interesting of all the books that I have read so far. Most of the books were written by adoptive parents saying how they think their kids are and feel, when who knows if its accurate fully. But I love to hear the real stories right from the adoptees. The idea of non racism in the home but having to deal with it outside the home. Their adoptive parents denying racism in america, or toning down its influence "here". These are things that I want to hear the stories, to be able to understand and try to help my child to the best of my ability to get through the racism, abandonment, and identity stuff that they will have to face. I will not deny my ignorance, I have been the minority in a room just a handful of times in my whole life. I want my children to feel secure in who they are, where they came from. I want them to know that they were not "rescued" like they were a victim and will have to continue to be one, they have different needs and they will have to go through different things, just like everyone has to but that doesn't make them less. The thing that breaks my heart the most is hearing stories of birthmothers who adopt their children because of poverty, it doesn't seem fair, like we as adoptive parents or prospective adoptive parents instead of trying to help her to get financially stable, we adopt, it seems so selfish. I don't want to be part of that group of child "consumers" as everyone says about america. I feel like I see both the good and the bad of adoption; I hope that is a good thing. I know that all adoptions aren't because of poverty but some are.
Last night we watched the movie "the morgans" or something like that, and Sarah Jessica Parker had applied for adoption without her husband Hugh Grant and had to be takin away by the witness relocation program, and she just had to "call them" to say that she couldn't adopt anymore. With no emotion nothing, it really infuriated me. -Plus China doen't let you adopt if your single! And at the end of the movie they adopt from China, and wow they also got pregnant at the same time they adopted, 6 month later (at least they made her look as if she was 6 mo or more pregnant). All the myths in there, and bad acting. ---Definately don't recommend that movie. -Teisha

2 comments:

  1. Hey T - have you picked an agency yet? Children's Home Society has great parent education including adopted adult panels that are very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing that we will go with Childrens home society, we went to information meeting and I've been to their website many times, and they seem the most knowledgable (been doing it since 1909) I haven't talked to Nick but I'm almost 100% it will be them.

    ReplyDelete