Thursday, September 16, 2010

Living in the City

Old blog I didn't post from early september or late august

I feel like with this blog I might run out of things to talk about before I actually start taking the adoption education classes. I found out today that they do have a Korean school in Mpls. I want my children to know their heritage and where they came from yet I don't do that with my biological children, though maybe we will, We'd have to do a German, Finnish, French, Ojibway, and Korean School. And I wonder what we'll do because we might go to a Korean festival and half the kids won't be Korean, and if we went to a German one half the kids wouldn't be German. One thing that the book that I'm reading talks about is living in a multicultural or multi-ethnicity place (for example the city) that just to see their parents interact with people of other races makes the kids more accepting of themselves as Korean (or whatever their heritage is). Because if everyone is the same like in the suburbs, (same house) (same kids) (same dog) (same ethnicity) then its harder to be different is what the point is in the book. I don't want my kids to be one place minded, but I also don't want them to be ashamed of where they came from. I a lot of times think that I would love to live in the city.

Last weekend me and Nick went to the Uptown art fair and to get there we had to walk by sustainable apartments (I'm not sure exactly what that meant) if they had solar power, made with recycled materials or what, but I was like “we should live there” of course Nick rolled his eyes. I would love for my kids to be in a multicultural area, but also not where there is murders or drug busts next door (though that can still happen around the suburbs) ---- side note: if you think there is any neighborhood in the twin cities that is multicultural and that is good for kids growing up that is a fun place to live let me know :

No comments:

Post a Comment