Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Korean History and Culture (Very Random)

I'm interested in history a lot so recently I have been reading about Korean History. There are not very many books on Korean history at our library, or Asian history in general. One book was on the Korean War and the other was A Concise History on Modern Korea by Michael J. Seth. I was most intrigued by the Chosen/Joseon/Yi dynasty which was from 1392-1910 mostly culture things like the men wearing top knots and civil service exams, the yangban/ the caste system and the Tonghak movement led mostly by peasants against taxes causing the Sino-Japanese War.
I watched a Korean movie that was in the Chosen dynasty right about when the Catholic Missionaries were there and it was really interesting culturally but I'm not going to tell you what it is here because it had some bad scenes in it that I had to fast forward through, it was on instant queue on Netflix.
I also started learning a tiny bit of Korean using the Mango Languages of the Dakota County Library System. The only phrase I can remember well is “Onul Nalshi Jocho” which means “Today the weather is good, isn't it?”
I love the study of Culture, I should become a anthropologist though it isn't worth much in the workforce :) I also spent some time on youtube watching videos on Korean etiquette that I found interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment